Wednesday, 17 July 2013

Starting Steps...

Hey All,
Now that I have determined to workout without getting lazy, I'll tell you what I have been doing every week. I did not want to overwhelm my body with heavy exercise. I have done that before and ended up with painful cramps. After some research I have understood that shocking your body all of a sudden with heavy and difficult exercises is really not a good idea.
So, as a start I am planning on doing some yoga and warm up exercises the first week. I have had this book of yoga from my dad for years. He was advised to do yoga when he was diagnosed with asthma. It has helped him so much. There were other things too that he did to control asthma, let me know if you want to know. But right now lets talk about yoga. This book is in Malayalam (my mother tongue) and has detailed instructions of why yoga is beneficial for you. It starts with simple exercises to more complex ones. I can't say who is the author and other details as those pages are lost. This book was totally in a mess with many beginning pages missing. I piled up the pages left and send it for binding.
 Practicing yoga is easy and simple. All you need is a mat and no other equipment. Therefore you can do this at home, without the expenditure of going to a gym.

The first week is completely dedicated to breathing technique. In yoga, every exercise you do requires you to take long deep breaths. For this, in the first week the only exercise you do is 'Shwasanakriya A'. Below is a picture illustration:
  • Lie on your back. The legs should touch each other.
  • Inhale deep as you slowly raise your hands and rest it on the floor above your head.
  • Exhale deep as you slowly bring your hands back to your sides.
The book says to do 10 times of this the first day. And increase it by 5 daily till you reach 40. It also says that there is no hard rule that you have to increase it by 5 daily. If you have breathing problems, go at your own convenience.
I have started this today morning and Insha'a Allah by next Wednesday I will reach 40 times of this exercise. I know this looks like nothing but in the book it says it is important to correct our breathing technique before we start anything else in yoga. Also this is easy during Ramadan.
In the evening, I did the workout shown in this video. Not as such, I reduced the count of each exercise Bex shows here. My heart was thumbing away by the end. It includes 8 sets of exercises and below is the number of times I did each.
  • Jumping Jacks - which I did 10 times.
  • Squats - 10 times
  • Alternative Lunges - 5 for each leg
  • Plank position hold for 10 seconds (I did only 1 round)
  • Mountain Climbing - 5 on each leg (I did only 1 round)
  • Knee Raise Crunches - 10 on each leg
  • Bent Knee Push Up - 5 times and hold for 5 seconds (I did only 1 round)
  • Squat Thrust - 10 times
Anyway, this is how I plan on working out this week.
I will update how and what I feel about this next Wednesday in 'Get Fit!' page.
Until then take care &
Stay Healthy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do drop in your comments as I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Be sure to check back, I make every effort to reply to your comments :)